- retrieve re‧trieve [rɪˈtriːv] verb [transitive]1. COMPUTING to get back information that has been stored in a computer:
• The application stores and retrieves data according to the user's requirements.2. if a company retrieves money, costs, or losses, it succeeds in obtaining an amount of money equal to the amount it spent or lost; = RECOUP:
• The bank will have trouble retrieving anything like the value of its loans.— retrieval noun [uncountable] :
• efficient information retrieval
* * *retrieval UK US /rɪˈtriːvəl/ noun [U]► IT the process of getting stored information from a computer: »
This message has not been saved and is not available for retrieval.»
A system of storage and retrieval of personnel records has been established.a retrieval process/service/system »
a data retrieval system»
retrieval technology/software► the act or process of getting something back, especially money or something that has been lost: »
ATM makers are considering using a consumer's iris to allow the retrieval of cash instead of punched-in passwords.
Financial and business terms. 2012.